Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I wish.

I wish for a lot of things, and have done so in the past too.
Fortunately a lot of my wishes have been "modest" wishes. I usually don`t ask for mutch.
Right now I wish for some of my favorite games to work on +Linux if only on wine.

I`m not a linux-pro in any way. Rather a long term n00b. I consider muself thus untill i use the termunal to get things done (and I don`t mean copy paste).

Most of my time on a PC is spendt gaming. I don`t use text-tools or other officerelated programs if I can help it. My PC is for entertainmentpurposes. Although I like tho have the option of doing so. Somethimes I meddle in the afairs of wizards and try 3D-something-something in +Blender.

As a father to a little lovely girl of soon 1,5, I have little time to spare. I have some though! And I`m left with a couple of options.

1. Straight in action that lasts max 15 min.
2. Turnbased games.

There are actually a fair share of games that match these criteria. My fav at the moment is +World of Tanks.

And I can`t get it to work in wine on Linux.

My desktop computer is atm dualboot W7 and +Xubuntu . And I`m fairly pleased with that. But as long as we are wishing for things...

I wish great games that I like would work on Linux!
Subwish: I wish they would work on wine on Linux.

And when I`m on the subject of linux: I`m a bit tired of +Ubuntu . Mind, they snare me in everytime there is a new release. (Ubuntu 13.04 is out in 2 days.) But, IDK... I like Ubuntu and its variables a lot! Don`t get me wrong. I`t just seems as though I got to move on. And I really don`t know from what. I have tried some distros in my time. Usually they are Ubuntu-based. I almost liked +Linux Mint . And I have gone trough K-L-X-ubuntu, Zorin os, Bodhi Linux, RedHat, some puppylinux variables, Gentoo, Arch and Cinnarch. (I have probably forgotten some, sorry.)

I really liked the `idea`of arch. But I had not the skill or time to put the darn thing together. I need an `out of the box` distro that I can costumize.

And then there is the desktop interfaces. My laptop is nearly 10 years old, and need a lightweight desktop interface. I have stranded on +Xfce . The reason for that is that I liked gnome 2 a lot. And xfce resembles many of the qualitys it had. Amazingly costumizable. Pretty too. And that`s another thing. I like desktop interfaces to be pretty. Windows is not pretty. Not 3.11 trough to 8 has been pretty.
I have been a fan of +GNOME for a while, but like ubuntu`s unity, Gnome 3 is just not what I`m looking for. At the moment I have Xubuntu with Cinnamon/MATE installed, and it`s pretty OK. Lxde is to basic for me.

The thing is, you like to costumize the space around you. Your home is costumized to you. If you don`t like the wallpaper, you change it. That`s what I like about most Linux desktop interfaces. They can be changed. I want my desktop to reflect me or the mood I`m in, or change my mood.

I see that the read tread is flapping about aimlessly, just bare with me a little more.

I tried Cinnarch. Cinnamon/MATE is pretty. As said before I was intriged by the idea of arch, but could not build it. Arch with a desktop interface I liked pre-installed. That I can DIG. But cinnarch are now moving away form cinnamon/MATE because it is lagging behind in development, and follows a different releasecycle that is incomaptible with cinnarch`s roling release strategy.
I was bummed. I see their point, sure, just bummed out. So I started looking for a replacement. Arch seems fun. I am familiar with Ubuntu, but I need change. So I tried +ManjaroLinux ! Wow! Is it really different? It is. It doesn`t say ubuntu anywhere! As far as I can tell, it can replace my ubuntu-dependencies.

Well. If I didn`t want to game on games like World of Tanks, my desktop would be a clean Manjaro PC.

I wish...

I have a hot wife. (she told me to write that, although it`s true.) Didn`t I tell you I used to wish for things?  Maybe more of the things I wish for will come true?

No comments:

Post a Comment